Rogers patterned or patented Top Lever action

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Rick Riddell 180

Rogers patterned or patented Top Lever action

Post by Rick Riddell 180 »

I’ve recently come across this in descriptions of guns from the late 1800’s and was curious if there was any info on it, any help would be great!

John 39

Re: Rogers patterned or patented Top Lever action

Post by John 39 »

The Rogers action was patented by John Thomas Rogers and John Rogers patent (No. 397 of 29 January 1881). In 1880 John moved from 20 Slaney Street to 78 Lower Tower Street, Birmingham, and on 29 January 1881 he and his son John (II) registered the patent for a side-lock action which became one of the most famous side-lock actions and was used by most Birmingham and London gun makers and in particular by famous names such as P Webley & Sons and James Woodward. This was a much more simple action than others, either bar action or back action, with cocking levers protruding through the knuckle and rocking on a pin so that the rear end rose upwards cocking the tumblers. The action was patented in the USA under No. 257764 in 1882 which was assigned to J P Claborough.

The first place to search is the history of John Thomas Rogers, then the history of John Rogers. You might find a little more information if you do a search in the Text box for the name"Rogers, don't enter anything in any of the other boxes. This will give you every mention of the word Rogers in the database.

Rick Riddell 180

Re: Rogers patterned or patented Top Lever action

Post by Rick Riddell 180 »

John thank you, in the interim I did a search and found a post from google for the site regarding Rogers patent, I wasn’t sure if there were examples readily handy. I will continue my search!