What can you tell me about these locks?

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Rick Riddell 230

What can you tell me about these locks?

Post by Rick Riddell 230 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:48 pm

The gun was made in 1888 from Charles Osborne and supplied to James Lang in the white. Which brings up another query, have you ever seen an Osborne with drop edges?

trw999

Re: What can you tell me about these locks?

Post by trw999 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:30 pm

Its entirely possible Osborne made up the gun with specific details as ordered by Lang, since that is what their client required.

As to other Osborne guns with dipped locks, you'd have to ask someone with extensive experience of their guns and that ain't me, I'm afraid!

Tim

John 39

Post by John 39 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:07 pm

I can't help much either, but wonder why would James Lang ask Osborn (rather than anyone else) to make locks for them? I thought James Lang only made top quality guns, but maybe this was a keeper's gun. As a matter of interest, how many pins show on the outside?

Rick Riddell 180

Post by Rick Riddell 180 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:59 pm

There are 5 total, 3 for the bridle, 1 for the main spring and 1 for the sear. The tumbler/hammer is one unit and is used as a cocking indicator. I don’t think this is a keepers gun, it is nicely engraved and has a gold inlay safety. It is written and documented in the Lang book both Edward and James were supplied by Osborne. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few Joseph Lang guns on that list as well. This one is marked 64 A. New Bond Street on the rib.