Tracking with Versatile hunting dog

Registered members may use this forum to discuss hunting, wildlife and conservation subjects
Allen Peterson 44

Tracking with Versatile hunting dog

Post by Allen Peterson 44 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 am

Here in Virginia bow hunting for deer season started this week. I had the dogs out for some exercise tonight and decided to stop by an area that is popular with bow hunters and see if anyone had some luck. i spoke to an old fellow that was checking out of his assigned area and He told me he killed a mature doe and had dragged the deer to his tree stand and then went to collect his cart to haul the deer out of the hunting area. when he returned with the cart the doe was gone. he looked around and could not find it.. he called the game warden for the area and the warden came to meet him.and said they were having a problem with bears and a bear had probably stole the deer in the few minutes that he went to collect his cart. I offered to track down the doe for him and the game warden said to put my two dogs in the little off road gator and off we went in the dark to the site the deer was last seen. the puppy immediately got on the trail and went about 30 yards and down into a deep gully.There was the doe the bear had started to feed on it and was scared away by the dogs and our little group.Im a bit chuffed and proud of my young (2 year old GSP bitch) shes doing what a versatile hunting dog is bread for..
Attachments
new bore cleaning device_zpsm00hpzov.jpg
new bore cleaning device_zpsm00hpzov.jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 46 times

John 39

Re: Tracking with Versatile hunting dog

Post by John 39 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:33 pm

That is brilliant, but how dangerous are the bears? Where are you located? What are those tubes?

Allen Peterson 44

Re: Tracking with Versatile hunting dog

Post by Allen Peterson 44 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Bears are always dangerous and unpredictable. I believe they are even more dangerous when they lose their fear of man. When going in their area it is wise to carry a gun and bear spray. Those tubes are gun tubes my puppy is sitting in a 16 inch gun barrel from a WW2 battleship taken back when I was still working on Naval guns. I am in Virginia USA