any in depth look at Braddells out of Belfast

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Rick Riddell 230

any in depth look at Braddells out of Belfast

Post by Rick Riddell 230 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Was curious to see if any indepth look has been done? I know the records were once available, but no contact info these days. Were they a retailer, maker or both and any clue who may have supplied or did they supply to the gun trade?

John 39

Re: any in depth look at Braddells out of Belfast

Post by John 39 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi Rick, They were a retailer buying from all sorts but mainly the Birmingham trade. Years ago, maybe 10, I spoke on the phone to someone there (owner or partner) but can't remember the conversation except that it involved the firm's history. Why no give them a ring?
or if that's inconvenient ask me to. If you are looking for the history of a gun what is it and what's the serial number? John

Stephen Nash 218

Post by Stephen Nash 218 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:53 pm

I have a note to the effect that a fire destroyed the records in 1895, so there is little information, aside from existing guns, before this date.

For interest, I have a 12-bore pinfire by Joseph Braddell & Son, s/n 2500, with bar locks. The rib is inscribed "Joseph Braddell & Son Improved Bar Lock Breech loader 17 Castle Place Belfast". The gun has 30 in. fine damascus barrels, and a Jones-type double grip action with, interestingly, a left-hand opening lever. The bar locks are marked “J. Braddell & Son”. It is a fine quality gun, and there’s nothing on the gun that suggests it was made for them and not by them (though of course anything is possible). I would guess it was made around 1865, from its various features.

John 39

Post by John 39 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 pm

I very much doubt if Braddells ever made any guns themselves and bet you any amount the gun has Birmingham proof marks although that proves nothing - because Ireland never had a proof house and all the guns made there (Rigby, Kavanagh but probably no others!) had to be proved in Birmingham.

Stephen Nash 218

Post by Stephen Nash 218 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:21 pm

John 39 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 pm
I very much doubt if Braddells ever made any guns themselves and bet you any amount the gun has Birmingham proof marks although that proves nothing - because Ireland never had a proof house and all the guns made there (Rigby, Kavanagh but probably no others!) had to be proved in Birmingham.
Hi John, the pinfire gun has London proofs, but no other markings other than the rib and lock inscriptions. Perhaps Braddell brought in barrelled actions, or whole guns?