how to copy and print case labels?

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Rick Riddell 230

how to copy and print case labels?

Post by Rick Riddell 230 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Any secret to this, or is this not an option?

John 39

Re: how to copy and print case labels?

Post by John 39 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:12 am

Best to use a flatbed scanner if possible but this is not often an option. If you have a piece of red, blue or green baize to use as a background, drape it over a loose label to provide a background. If you want an image of a gun you can use a flatbed scanner for that too - not a lot of people know that!

For photographing labels "in the box" I use an Olympus SP 820 UZ which has excellent low light capability. I haven't used film for 20 years, digital gets better every day. I haven't tried a smartphone camera yet but suspect they will do the job very well.

Do not use a flash, it causes glare on oily labels and all labels are oily. Natural daylight if possible especially for leather labels with gold printing, and watch for your own shadow and shadow from the locking catch on the case.

Take photos from about 2 feet away, distance is not critical, and use the zoom feature to fill the frame as much as you can. Include a little of the baize to act as a frame. Normal speed is usually good enough for a hand-held camera especially if you have a camera shake feature, no need for close-up macro lenses. tripods are awkward and lengthy to set up, I can't be bothered!

No need to go for high resolution, normal is OK. Computer monitors can only deal with 92 pixels per inch and if you are printing the label 92 is sufficient for that too. Remember to roughly measure the label for printing later, different batches of labels came in slightly different sizes so no need to be too accurate, but do print on a thin card rather than a normal thick paper. Ink jet is probably best.

If digital (so much easier!) use a photo editing programme to crop and square-up the photo i.e. get it verticallly and horizontally correct, and to correct any mis-shape or skew. I also use this to re-size the photo. The clone feature is something you should master to remove unwanted marks and stains and replace unclear printing. I don't use anything else. I also use a one-step photo enhancement feature to correct colour and exposure but often this does little to improve the photo.

Robert Forslund 171

Post by Robert Forslund 171 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:53 pm

That's fine, if you have an original label to copy.
If you have not, there are some firms selling them on the internet.
In the UK for example: peterdyson.co.uk A label is 20£
They didn't have my label (H.J. Hussey Ltd) so I ordered from:
csmcspecials.com in the US. A label costs 18$
This US firm also have some labels made in leather for some gunmakers.

Rick Riddell 230

Post by Rick Riddell 230 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks guys, I was talking about the labels in the historical database. There is one I am interested in, I thought it was an option for members to print them out.

John 39

Post by John 39 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi Rick,

The labels on the website are low quality because computer monitors can only show a maximum of 92 pixels per inch. What label do you want, we will email you a better quality one with pleasure.

Rick Riddell 230

Post by Rick Riddell 230 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:56 pm

I was hoping to get a copy of the BSA label and J. Graham of Iverness.

John 39

Post by John 39 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi Rick,

When you registered your email was not recorded properly please click on feedback and give me an email address, then re-register with that email and I'll renew your membership and send you the label copies.

Rick Riddell 230

Post by Rick Riddell 230 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Feedback sent!

John 39

Post by John 39 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Rick, I haven't received the feedback. It may be a problem with the feedback form, could you please try again being careful to click on the right buttons? John

Rick Riddell 230

Post by Rick Riddell 230 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Hey John, not sure if I'm hitting up the right feedback, its the feedback forum on the main page right? Kind of hard not to hit the right buttons, there is only one!!