Price valuation on a Hussey shotgun

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Taylor Steves 317

Price valuation on a Hussey shotgun

Post by Taylor Steves 317 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Hello everyone,

we found an old shotgun in the house of our grandfather, the barrels are in perfect conditions, it appears to be a very nice Hussey- Imperial Injector of 1899

On the box it's written Maj. Fremantle. Maybe the old owner? (Arthur Fremantle who died in 1901? ). Is it possible to find any records of the original buyers of these fine shotguns? Or are they lost?

What could be a valuation for this shotgun?

Thanks again for the infos, have a good evening
Attachments
IMG_4024.JPG
IMG_4024.JPG (147.06 KiB) Viewed 243 times
IMG_4022.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG (219.9 KiB) Viewed 243 times

Robert Forslund 171

Re: Price valuation on a Hussey shotgun

Post by Robert Forslund 171 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:06 am

Congratulations Taylor, to a very nice shotgun.
You will find a lot of information on Hussey under : "H.J.Hussey serial numbers" on this forum from about a year ago.
I have a H.J.Hussey Ltd Imperial ejector No. 14032 which I think was made around 1904, if this helps. The gun is lovely balanced and I very much enjoy shooting with it.
Unfortunatly Hussey is not well known outside the UK, which affects the value.
You can look at past auctions by Holts or Bonham for example, but I think you will find it confusing. You will find results from 2000£ up to 7000£ depending on condition and, as it seams, the mood of the buyers attending the auction.

Allen Peterson 44

Post by Allen Peterson 44 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 am

Wonderfuul shotgun. It's one off a pair I wonder where it's mate went?

Taylor Steves 317

Post by Taylor Steves 317 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Dear Robert, thank you for the infos, the barrels are in very good conditions, in general the shotgun was almost never used.

Which are the best shops to try to sell this shotgun?

P.s. the box is only made for one shotgun

Robert Forslund 171

Post by Robert Forslund 171 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Dear Taylor,
the gun really looks to be in excellent condition. A few more pics to enjoy would be nice. You seam to be good at posting photos, which is not easy on this forum.
You ask a Swede living in Germany where to sell the gun in the UK!
I am really not the man for that. I hope John or Tim will give you some advise, they are more up to it.
Basically I think an auctionhouse like Holts must be a good choise.
Perhaps I should buy your gun and make a composed pair. It is tempting, but I really don't have use for a pair, so it will remain a dream. :(

John 39

Post by John 39 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm

We would recommend selling at auction, the commissions are high but you will get the best price, gross and net. The Imperial was Hussey's best gun, I wish I had one, or two! The Hussey firms are better known now than they were a few years ago but I agree they should command higher prices. It may be that when the guns were split up one got the original case and another case was mde for the number 2 gun. Has this case got a label? Is it oak and leather with a canvas cover?