Price valuation on a Hussey shotgun

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Taylor Steves 317

Price valuation on a Hussey shotgun

Post by Taylor Steves 317 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Hello everyone,

we found an old shotgun in the house of our grandfather, the barrels are in perfect conditions, it appears to be a very nice Hussey- Imperial Injector of 1899

On the box it's written Maj. Fremantle. Maybe the old owner? (Arthur Fremantle who died in 1901? ). Is it possible to find any records of the original buyers of these fine shotguns? Or are they lost?

What could be a valuation for this shotgun?

Thanks again for the infos, have a good evening
Attachments
IMG_4024.JPG
IMG_4024.JPG (147.06 KiB) Viewed 424 times
IMG_4022.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG (219.9 KiB) Viewed 424 times

Robert Forslund 171

Re: Price valuation on a Hussey shotgun

Post by Robert Forslund 171 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:06 am

Congratulations Taylor, to a very nice shotgun.
You will find a lot of information on Hussey under : "H.J.Hussey serial numbers" on this forum from about a year ago.
I have a H.J.Hussey Ltd Imperial ejector No. 14032 which I think was made around 1904, if this helps. The gun is lovely balanced and I very much enjoy shooting with it.
Unfortunatly Hussey is not well known outside the UK, which affects the value.
You can look at past auctions by Holts or Bonham for example, but I think you will find it confusing. You will find results from 2000£ up to 7000£ depending on condition and, as it seams, the mood of the buyers attending the auction.

Allen Peterson 44

Post by Allen Peterson 44 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:56 am

Wonderful shotgun. It's one off a pair I wonder where it's mate went?

Taylor Steves 317

Post by Taylor Steves 317 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Dear Robert, thank you for the info, the barrels are in very good condition, in general the shotgun was almost never used.

Which are the best shops to try to sell this shotgun?

P.S. the box is only made for one shotgun

Robert Forslund 171

Post by Robert Forslund 171 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Dear Taylor,
the gun really looks to be in excellent condition. A few more pics to enjoy would be nice. You seam to be good at posting photos, which is not easy on this forum.
You ask a Swede living in Germany where to sell the gun in the UK!
I am really not the man for that. I hope John or Tim will give you some advise, they are more up to it.
Basically I think an auctionhouse like Holts must be a good choise.
Perhaps I should buy your gun and make a composed pair. It is tempting, but I really don't have use for a pair, so it will remain a dream. :(

John 39

Post by John 39 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Major Freemantle must have been a big man wih very broad shoulders to need that amount of cast-off!

We would recommend selling at auction, the commissions are high but you will get the best price, gross and net. The Imperial was Hussey's best gun, I wish I had one, or two! The Hussey firms are better known now than they were a few years ago but I agree they should command higher prices. It may be that when the guns were split up one got the original case and another case was made for the number 2 gun. Has this case got a label? Is it oak and leather with a canvas cover?

John 39

Post by John 39 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Hello. My father recently passed away and my mother found his father’s (my grandfather’s) H J Hussey shotgun, complete in case with all accoutrements, serial #14398. The number 14391 is stated on some of the papers. I’m trying to help her out with any info re date, valuation, etc. Is this something you can help with?

Thank you!

Chad Perry

John 39

Post by John 39 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi Chad,

This is a very exciting find. For the last 100 years shooting people have rated the top London gun makers as Boss and Purdey, but at this top level comparisons, as my father always said, are odious!

This gun looks well used but the stock in particular can be cleaned up to get the best price. This is one of a composed pair – so what happened to the other one? Your granddad must have walked into the shop but didn’t want to wait 6 months or so while they were made, so bought two very similar guns off the shelf. More pictures would be great.

Hussey was reportedly a scoundrel, a cheat, a liar and a thief, but he was also an astute businessman. He hired the best independent London gun makers and made “Best” guns. If you are lucky this will be an “Imperial” model but if it isn’t it is still quite valuable. Hussey is an undervalued maker, prices in the USA (I presume you live in the USA) are higher there than they are here, but your gun could be worth up to £5000 as a single or up to £15000 if you could find the other one and sell them as a pair.

You really need to join the club and read the Hussey and related histories.

Hussey’s numbering system is not reliable but most of his guns were made between 1900 and 1910.

Have a look at:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10&p=22&hilit=harri ... hussey#p22
https://www.internetgunclub.com/archive ... topicid=44
https://www.internetgunclub.com/archive ... opicid=433
https://www.internetgunclub.com/archive ... opicid=308

Any chance of photos of the gun (close-up of action) and barrel flats, gun case and label that we could put in this Forum?

Chad Perry 326

Post by Chad Perry 326 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks John. No sign of another Hussey yet but there are others...including a “SUHL” and “Westley Richards & Co” shotgun no T7225 as well as a US Springfield 1875 black powder rifle...need to take more pics and research.

John 39

Post by John 39 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:12 am

The T series of 7000 serial numbers date to 1925. There were a lot of gun makers in Suhl, if you can find even a few letters of the maker's name we might be able to help..