C.G.Bonehill

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Murray 77

C.G.Bonehill

Post by Murray 77 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi John, I have in my possession a rather pretty Bonehill .410. The single barrel is octagonal for about the 1st 7 inches. On the flats it has C.G. Bonehill and Maker Birmingham on another. The action is back action with a rebounding lock. The serial Number is 146480 the 8 could be a 3. It is chambered for 2 1/2 inches and is proofed for Nitro. Crown over NP. I feel that this gun could have started as a rook rifle.? I have fully read the information on the data base and wonder if you can take it any further. Murray

John 39

Re: C.G.Bonehill

Post by John 39 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:02 pm

146480 is a relatively recent number, possibly between 1925 and Second World War, but the octagonal section of the barrel suggests much earlier, maybe it was old stock sold and numbered much later. If it had been a rook rifle I would expect the original proof marks to be there somewhere, I would not expect them to have been removed. The records were taken over by Graham R Perry, a gunsmith in Cardigan, but when I don't know and whether or not he is still in business I don't know.