Date of manufacture and value of Charles Boswell matched Pair of 20 Ga

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Robert A. (Bob) Gruszecki 1126

Date of manufacture and value of Charles Boswell matched Pair of 20 Ga

Post by Robert A. (Bob) Gruszecki 1126 »

Hello: I am looking for advice and information on a set of Charles Boswell 20 Ga over /under guns SE Gun 1 #8409 and SE Gun 2 #8410. Box lock actions with sideplates, single selective triggers and non automatic sfaeties. Barrels are 26 7/8" long, Mono Block construction and all are choked IC. Checkered walnut stocks and forends. LOP 14 1/4/" Both engraved with scroll and bulino style game scenes. Fine leather case. Any advice and source is greatly appreciated. Cheers!
John 39

Re: Date of manufacture and value of Charles Boswell matched Pair of 20 Ga

Post by John 39 »

Hi Bob,

What I have to say will disappoint you, but disappoint you I must. The serial numbering of Boswell guns (date of sale) was inconsistent but started at about 14000 and went up to about 18000. He never made any Over and Under guns, any monoblock guns, seldom made 20 bores or sideplated guns or guns with such short barrels. The monoblock layout was invented by continental makers especially in Liege where most forgeries come from. I can state that your guns are continental imposters which had the Boswell name put on them to sell them at a higher price. If the proof marks say London or Birmingham they were forged as well. Having said all that the guns probably look good and shoot well so enjoy them.