Database sources - W Baker 10 1/2 Smith Street

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
David Ryder 107

Database sources - W Baker 10 1/2 Smith Street

Post by David Ryder 107 »

I have here a Carr Bros of Huddersfield with a Baker single trigger.

Within the Baker information is reference to WP Jones making two guns for Carr Bros with such a trigger. I am curious as to the source of this information.

Many thanks

David Ryder
John 39

Re: Database sources - W Baker 10 1/2 Smith Street

Post by John 39 »

Hi David,

I wrote this about 15 years ago, it is now 9.45 am and I can't remember what I had for breakfast! I do know that it was from a reliable source, and that I had no independent confirmation. Strangely, reflecting on it now, I did not put this in the W P Jones history - I guess this was because the main subject was William Baker and Carr brothers.
David Ryder 107

Post by David Ryder 107 »

Hello John,

It was an enquiry purely based on hope. When you find a pertinent connection to a gun that is in your hand there is most certainly an air of excitement.

Many thanks for your time

David
John 39

Post by John 39 »

Looks like your gun is one of those two ! W P Jones was an inventive and very skilled gunmaker, I have a personal connection in that in 1919 my grandfather (of R B Rodda & Co) made and patented the Rotax bullet for smoothbore shotguns subseqently manufactured by Kynoch and sold by Rodda in India and W P Jones in England. This bullet was essentially an exaggerated hollow point being a lead tube with rifling on the inside of the tube. A steel plate in the middle blocked the tube until the bullet exited the barrel when it fell away and air rushed through the tube causing the bullet to spin. I have only seen one box of 25 20 bore cartridges come up for sale here in the UK, I bid £100 for it but it sold for more !