Capegun

Registered members may use this forum to discuss justice and injustice, politics (& political correctness) and religion (if it is related to shooting) and whatever else takes your fancy.
Allen Peterson 44

Capegun

Post by Allen Peterson 44 »

9.3X72R rifle 16 bore shotgun. Still shoots pretty good.
Attachments
Cape gun1.jpg
Cape gun1.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
Last edited by Allen Peterson 44 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
John 39

Re: Capegun

Post by John 39 »

Stood on my head to view this, no problem - Maker? German? Wots wid der little image? I clicked on this and found something about Vintage Gunners and World side by side championships. Seems to be a story there ????

Greener safety, otherwise looks good !
Allen Peterson 44

John: The Cape gun is a pre war gun in the obsolete 9.3X72 rimmed cartridge and 16 bore. I could not figure out how to flip the image,sorry.
Made in Suhl probably by Franz Jager. We shoot at a moving Lion target and turn to shoot a crossing clay. It’s a lot of fun.
The Vintagers is a group of SXS enthusiasts who admire guns ,dress and shooting customs of the Victorian age. They began in The New England area of the USA and had chapters in many states from California to Florida. Each year they hold an open championship and exhibition at some big sporting clays facility. In recent years it has downsized as the organization foundered. A new group called The Vintage Gunners is trying to revitalize the events. Boss and Purdy did not make it this year but Adkins Grant and Lang as well as Toby Barclay of Heritage Guns of the UK were here. The event is much smaller than past events. Many of the sponsors donate some sort of prize. I believe it's like your game fair. All competitions are shot from low gun each gage in hammer and hammerless From 410 to 8 Bore are shot as well as vintage stopping ,stalking, double rifles,Drillings and Cape guns. There is a hotly contested American shotgun competition
Between the AH Fox and Parker collectors associations. The top 5 shooters from each association have a 25 target shoot off on a previous unseen five stand course. I must confess that I was on the losing Fox team again this year against a great team Parker.We will get them next year the Vintagers always seem to dress in period garb but have relaxed the dress code because of the oppressive heat. Lots of shooters come and compete but did not like playing dress up. I actually bought some beeks but decided to never wear them in public.
2018 AH FOX Team2.jpg
2018 AH FOX Team2.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
I am on end in blue shirt.
Now if someone accidently shot the bagpiper that strolls around the place in the pipes all would be fine.
John 39

Post by John 39 »

Sounds a lot of fun and I just realized I've heard of The Vintagers before. My memory problems aren't getting any better!
Robert Forslund 171

Post by Robert Forslund 171 »

I learned something new today; that a "Büchsflinte" is called Capegun in English. Is the superposed model which I know as "Bockbüchsflinte" called the same?
Does anyone know where the word Capegun comes from?
When am asking I also would like to know where the expression Rook rifle comes from?
Allen Peterson 44

A cape gun is a long side-by-side double-barreled firearm, where one barrel is rifled and the other one is smooth. The user can use the rifled barrel to fire long range accurate shots against large game and use the smooth barrel to shoot shotgun shells at smaller animals. The gun has two triggers and allows the user to pull either one as needed. Cape guns were once very popular in South Africa, especially in the Eastern Cape province, but the guns themselves were mostly made in Europe. Cape guns made in Germany and Austria usually have the rifled barrel on the right side, whereas British made cape guns
drillings AND  cape guns.jpg
drillings AND cape guns.jpg (98.85 KiB) Viewed 5874 times
tend to have the rifled barrel on the left side.(from blogspot)
John 39

Post by John 39 »

Alan got in just before me ! I started to reply yesterday but had to abandon my reply to go to my mother's 100th birthday lunch and YES, she got a birthday card from Her Majesty The Queen! In case you think "What an achievement, isn't that terrific", just remember I can't afford to buy the guns I want until I inherit, and that could be some time!

Not speaking German I can't answer your query on these names, but originally they would have been superimposed as the natural layout would be for the rifled barrel to be on top next to the sights also, generally speaking the side by side layout was adopted in Europe some time after the superimposed.

Although it does not seem to have been noted anywhere in our histories, I seem to remember that Hollis brothers were the first to use the Cape name in relation to the combined shotgun and rifle. South Africa , Cape Province, was their obvious market where when shooting for the pot one might comes across bird or antelope and wanted to be ready for either - or both!

I don't mean to be mean, but Alan's image looks like the author has simply drawn every possible combination of rifle and shotgun barrel he could imagine. I do not believe half of these combinations were ever made because there is no logic to them and the Germans are an unusually logical people - and these guns are bloody ugly!
Robert Forslund 171

Thank you for the answers.
I must contradict you John. I have seen all thees combinations buildt, perhaps with the exeption of the o/u shotgun with a rifle barrel at the side.
In my homeland Sweden and also in Germany where I now live, Cape guns are very popular. Mostly as drilling with two shotgun barrels S/S and the rifle barrel underneath.
Shooting in the forests of Sweden it is quite practical to have a rifle barrel if a moose or a wild boar comes by.
In Germany I have a feeling that the number of shooters carrying a Cape gun is declining. It is sort of old fashioned, but still most shooters have a Cape gun in there gun cabinett (if they can afford it).
Talking about money. The more barrels, the more expensive the gun, seams to be the rule.
Of cause I have realised that Rook rifle relates to the bird Rook.
Last edited by Robert Forslund 171 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Forslund 171

PS
My best greetings to your mother, John. I hope she does not read your last post... ;)
Allen Peterson 44

John ;its wonderful that your mother has reached her 100 year. Amazing the things she has seen. And to receive recognition from the Queen is a true honor..
The drawing is from Franz Jager co. Catalogue to order guns.