Puppy pointing quail

Registered members may use this forum to discuss hunting, wildlife and conservation subjects
Allen Peterson 44

Puppy pointing quail

Post by Allen Peterson 44 »

Puppy made first retrieve of a quail shot over her last weekend. I am very happy.

Roy Shadbolt 110

Re: Puppy pointing quail

Post by Roy Shadbolt 110 »

Hi Allen,

Thanks for sharing, a great photograph. Well done, looks like a good start for that puppy.

I'm not a hunter these days (more of a collector) but my little dog kept a look out for alligators on our recent camping trip through Florida. I would attach a pic but no mater how small I make it, I keep getting an 'error too large'...!

Cheerio,

Roy

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Good idea to mark the bird with a stick so the dog can find it, and to keep the dog on a lead so you can drag it back if it goes off in the wrong direction - or perhaps the lead is there to ensure you don't get left behind !

Don't know why you get the "too large" message.Try reducing the Number of pixels per inch to 72 which is the best for image display on a PC. Alternatively, find a smaller alligator.

Allen Peterson 44

Thanks John the stick enables us to introduce the dog downwind into the scent cone and the check cord holds them in case they get too close and bump the bird out. last week she came into the scent cone and followed it up to the marking stick but showed little interest. I was a little frustrated She kept pulling and wanted to go off across the field. It turned out she was right the bird had walked out of its hide and ran across the field she tracked it to its new hiding place a pleasant surprise.

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Brilliant, all is explained.

Allen Peterson 44

This week the old dog pointed a woodcock and pup made her first retrieve of wild bird.
She's coming along.Image

Allen Peterson 44

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Your gun is a bit mucky, dirtier than the dogs