Percussion pistol by Daniel Ross, Edinburgh

Registered members may use this forum to discuss muzzle-loading and black powder subjects
Ed Hardy 305

Percussion pistol by Daniel Ross, Edinburgh

Post by Ed Hardy 305 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:20 pm

Good morning, and happy holidays to everyone. I recently picked up this lovely percussion pistol, which is marked Ross Edinburgh, although the script for the name actually looks like Kofs. However, I can find no name like that in Der Neue Stockel and Ross makes more sense. It is a .59 calibre by micrometer so probably actually .60, with a 8" barrel, lovely Damascus twist, platinum line, etc. It is a very high quality piece. My initial thought was an officer's pistol but the ramrod is not captive which makes that less likely. I wonder if it was originally part of a pair. Anyway, here are some photos of it.

Ed

[url]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lp922d36546j ... a?dl=0/url]

John 39

Re: Percussion pistol by Daniel Ross, Edinburgh

Post by John 39 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:29 am

Definitely Ross. At the time this was made it was common where one had a double S in a word to change it to FS. Why? Don't ask me!

We would have thought that if this was a pair they would be numbered.

We don't think Ross was actually a gun maker, he probably was an enthusiastic shooting man who simply employed someone to retail good quality guns for him. If you read his history he was actually very wealthy and indulged himself in the arts, and bought an 1851 Exhibition fountain for the community which still graces a park in Edinburgh.