Help dating a Manton

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Allen Peterson 44

Help dating a Manton

Post by Allen Peterson 44 »

I have a nice Manton hammerless sidelock with intercepting sears. A friend is a Ferlack trained gunmaker and told me it is an extremely well made gun. It is built on a Webley-screw grip action has the best job of inletting the locks I have ever seen. The wood is very nice better than you normally see on Webleys. London Nitro Proofed.
Marked Manton and Co. I have trouble believing this gun came from India. Any Idea on When this gun was made and where? Webley action says Birmingham to me but there is the proofs from London?

John 39

Re: Help dating a Manton

Post by John 39 »

Hi Allen,

The best Webleys were proved in London and sent to the London showroom for sale, W & C Scott did the same. I guess this gun was ordered by Mantons from Birmingham and made there, sent London for viewing, sent back to Birmingham for more work, then definitively proved, back to Birmingham for finishing and engraving then either sent to India or, if the order was cancelled, sold by Webley or John Manton. I would think it was sent to the original customer in India, perhaps he didn't stay there for long, most didn't. Of course you are right, not many guns come back from India in good condition due to the heat and humidity, hence the lack of serial numbers and dates. The proof marks say 1904 to 1925. I have a Manton & Co 1909 catalogue and there is one gun in there that fits. I have scanned the page and as soon as I find out how to put up images on this new forum I'll post it.

Allen Peterson 44

Thank you John, That makes sense Perhaps it came back from India and got restocked. The interior inletting of the locks was done by someone who really took pride in their work and had considerable skill.

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Why did you shoot the cat?

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Hi Allen, Have a look at the R B Rodda .404 Jeffery in Holts sale today. It made £3000. Almost mint condition so hardly used and probably not in India for long. Rodda usually put better than average wood on their guns but you don't often see it due to the heat and humidity.

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

John, forgive me, but I make out those proof marks as being the 1896-1904 set.

Tim

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Tim, you are right, my mistake!

Allen Peterson 44

Thank you both for the information. By the way I went to the Holts site and before I had found the rifle you recommended I became enamored with an E James ten bore. I happen to have a big 8 bore made by Enos James in the picture attached . Its got 34 inch barrels and weighs in at 13.5 lbs. Not sure why its got two barrels after the first shot of black powder the smoke is so thick unless there is a 20 Knot crosswind you cant see for a follow-up shot. It is a real hoot to shoot. The smaller shotgun is a 12 bore with 28 inch barrels for comparison Image

Allen Peterson 44

John I haven't shot that cat yet. If you Knew her you may have asked Why haven't you shot that cat yet?