Pape BLE

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
KDGJ 62

Pape BLE

Post by KDGJ 62 »

I noticed this W.R. Pape http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/as ... &saletype= sold for £3000. This seems to be at the high end value for BLEs. Are Pape guns this good to bring the high end money?

Thanks
Ken

Tim Wilkes 43

Re: Pape BLE

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Ken, it would appear to be a very well made and decorated gun.

Pape has a following and so if there were two collectors bidding on the gun, they may well have pushed the price up as their testosterone got the better of them!

Tim

KDGJ 62

Post by KDGJ 62 »

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. A person is selling almost the same gun in the states for $5300. This is about the same price as the one at Holts (once you add buyer's premium, £conversion). I just didn't think Pape guns bring this type of money.

Ken

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Ken, don't forget that Pape was known as 'the Purdey of the north' by the end of the 19th century. At one time they had 30 employees turning out good quality guns.

In addition Pape filed several patents, proving a good mechanical and inventive mind. He also benefited from Newcastle being at the height of its commercial success at the time, giving him a good customer base.

Tim

KDGJ 62

Post by KDGJ 62 »

Tim,

I just didn't realize a Pape BLE would bring this kind of price. The one in the states is sold. Just an FYI, this is a link to the one over here http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... =100961759.

The engraving is very close to the Holt's gun. The was 6lbs and you don't see many 2 1/2" 12 bores over here.

All the Best,
Ken

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

As an aside Ken, I overhead two gunsmiths chatting at the Gardiner viewing yesterday.One was saying that he was after sleeved boxlock non-ejectors to do up, since his American clients couldn't get enough of them.

I assume this is due to a demand in the US for lighter weight upland guns that are nitro proofed for 2 3/4" cartridges, where the spent cartridge can be retained for reloading or disposal off the shoot area.

Tim