British proof marks and what they mean

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Trutta

British proof marks and what they mean

Post by Trutta »

Was curious to see what these proof marks mean, or what loads can be used, I do have some H&H 67mm loads would these be safe in 2 1/2 inch chambers?

John 39

Re: British proof marks and what they mean

Post by John 39 »

Hi Trutta,

The crown over BV mark is the View mark - incomplete guns viewed to check no faults prior to further work. The crown over BP mark is the definitive proof mark for a completed gun, and the crown over NP mark and words Nitro Proof tell you that the gun has passed nitro proof. The crossed swords mark seems to have a B in both the left and right angles which indicates proof in the 1950s, the 2 indicates the rank of the person who did the test. 1 1/8oz is the maximum shot load you should use. Choke indicates the left barrel has a degree of choke in it and solid slugs should not be used, if the right barrel has no choke mark it will be cylinder bored i.e. no choke constriction so solid slugs can be used.

You really need to fire a cartridge and then measure the length of the fired case. If it is more than 67mm don't use it in the gun. Some so-called 67mm cases are actually less and can be used safely.

I don't like the look of the hook. What happened to that? Accidental damage by an angle grinder?

Trutta

Post by Trutta »

Thank you very much for the reply! On the hook its a hvac tape, the action was a touch loose with the forearm off and the tape shored it up. Interesting that it has a proof date in the 50's. Its a BSA made for the RAF and I think those were only made from 40 to 45.

Alan David 60

Post by Alan David 60 »

The BSA shotguns made for the RAF during the Second World War have a W prefix to the serial number. Do you mind if I ask what the serial number is on your example? It will most likely be a three digit number.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

Trutta

Post by Trutta »

Don't mind the number was posted in the add on the internet. W488 is the three digit number. I really like the gun, solid light weight and handles nicely.