HJ Hussey Ltd Serial Numbers

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
KDGJ 62

HJ Hussey Ltd Serial Numbers

Post by KDGJ 62 »

I'm trying to find records for an HJ Hussey Ltd Imperial grade. The serial number is 14238. I sent an email to AG&L, but haven't received a reply yet. Does anyone know who holds records?

Thanks,
Ken

John 39

Re: HJ Hussey Ltd Serial Numbers

Post by John 39 »

Internet Gun Club is not aware that any records exist, such numbers as have been recorded seem to have come from guns sold at auction.

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

HJ Hussey was a maker of extremely fine guns. He is one of those makers that is somewhat under the radar for most people, yet his guns are the equal of the best London names.

Hussey is a maker I research, along with Beesley, Wilkes, Clarke and Harper. Your gun, from my records, would have been completed in 1906, when Hussey was in New Bond Street.

The company name and some records are held by the well known Sportarm company in Dorchester, Dorset.

Tim

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Ken registered on this website but did not pay for access to the database so is not a member. We did not know that Sportarm has some records so that is welcome news. I guess Hussey made models other than the "Imperial" but have only ever seen their top quality guns.

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Thanks John.

The other gun Hussey are well known for is the Times, often completed, rather attractively I feel, without engraving.

Tim

KDGJ 62

Post by KDGJ 62 »

John,

I did pay for access to the site. I do have access to the database. I'm not sure why there is a disconnect. I did find that Sportarm is the holder of some of the Hussey records and were trying to build Hussey guns again. I sent an email to Sportarm and just haven't heard back from them.

Regards,
Ken

KDGJ 62

Post by KDGJ 62 »

Tim Wilkes 43 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 am
HJ Hussey was a maker of extremely fine guns. He is one of those makers that is somewhat under the radar for most people, yet his guns are the equal of the best London names.

Hussey is a maker I research, along with Beesley, Wilkes, Clarke and Harper. Your gun, from my records, would have been completed in 1906, when Hussey was in New Bond Street.

The company name and some records are held by the well known Sportarm company in Dorchester, Dorset.

Tim
Tim,

Thanks for the information. The gun's proof marks show only the text for nitro proof. There is no arm stamp. From what I understand this means it was proved before 1905. I guess they could have completed the gun and sold it later. I don't know why the serial numbers would be post dated. Any other ideas or conjectures?

Regards,
Ken

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Ken, it is most likely that the gun was proofed in 1904 but not sold until 1906. Often the Gunmakers would start making a gun but not finish it off until they had a buyer who had been measured for their gun.

Even in the largest firms it took several months at least to make a bespoke gun, so it was not surprising that proof could take place months before sale.

The other possibility is that it was sold out of number sequence. Without sight of the Hussey ledgers, I can only go on my observations of proof marks of guns or information gleaned by others.

Or maybe I'm just wrong about the 1906!

Tim

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Ken, I am very sorry, you did pay and I apologise for saying you were not a member. I hope you get a reply from Sportarm and can find out what records they hold.

KDGJ 62

Post by KDGJ 62 »

Hey John,

No apology necessary. I just couldn't figure out the disconnect. AG&L responded to me yesterday saying they didn't have any Hussey records. Hopefully, Sportarm will respond in a few days.

Best,
Ken