HJ Hussey Ltd Serial Numbers

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Robert Forslund 171

Re: HJ Hussey Ltd Serial Numbers

Post by Robert Forslund 171 »

Interesting.
The first results are from a clay shoot. Perhaps not HJ 's thing, or he had a bad day. The handicap is measured how far the shooter stands from the trap. HJ has 19 meters, which perhaps indicates that he usually performs better.
HJ attended the live-pigeon championships at Monte Carlo in 1897 (Masters p. 31). That to me indicates a certain level of skill.

The second table is an analysis from Sporting Goods made in 1899.
Don Masters in his book Atkin, Grant and Lang shows a similar table from 1901.
Here the Hussey guns are in the top position and Purdey on 5th place!

In The Field from March 2018 is a nice articel from Jason Abbot: The perfection of English game guns. He mentions "the top London marques, such as Purdey, Holland @ Holland, Boss, with many second-division names following close behind, including Woodward, Atkin, Grant & Lang and Hussey."
He also shows an HJ Hussey best sidelock with "superb Damascus barrels".
Tim, have you seen many Hussey guns with such barrels?
Robert

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Hi Robert

I have records of only three guns made by L&H and/or HJ, with Damascus barrels, including the fine one Jason shows in the article.

Of course, by the time HJ was active steel, especially Whitworth steel, was the material of choice for sporting guns, so it is unsurprising that not many Damascus barrelled guns are known of with the Hussey name on. From what I have seen, HJ used only the best Damascus barrel makers for his guns.

I feel it is time we all move on from ranking British gunmakers. Sure, Purdey, H&H and Boss are the best known and most often admired London makers, being also the most prolific. But to my mind it denigrates so many other fine gunmakers: Hussey and Beesley, of course, showing my bias! But also Churchill, Atkin, Lang, Grant, Dickson, MacNaughton, Pape, Westley Richards, Woodward, Horsley and many other London, Birmingham, Edinburgh and regional gunmakers were capable of turning out guns the equal of, or even better than, those three.

Quality is where you find it and therefore talk of first, second or third divisions is, I feel, now both divisive and redundant.

There, got that off my chest!

Tim

Robert Forslund 171

Well spoken. You are perfectly right, but still these "prejudices" have a great impact, also in an economical sense. I have heared that this "ranking" of makers has changed over the years. For example Lancaster guns shoud have been ranked abowe both H&H and Purdey before the Great War, I have been told. I don't know if it is correct though.

I was just pleased to see HJ Hussey's name mentioned in such a positive sense. I am priviliged to be able to shoot with a "London best" without having to pay silly money for it.

Tim, do you have the serial number of the gun showed in the article of Jason Abbot?

Robert
Ps. Thank you for some beautiful English words, I will try to emember them :)

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Thank you Robert.

Nope, I don't have the serial number for that gun, shown in Jason's article. He had the pair for sale in 2014. I think they flew off his rack pretty rapidly! Here is his description of them:

PAIR HUSSEY IMPERIAL 12 BORE BEST SIDELOCK EJECTORS 30” superbly figured Damascus barrels recently reproved for 2¾” chambers. Actions engraved with finest rose & scrollwork retaining a patina of original colour. 15 5/8” highly figured stocks. This magnificent pair of guns represent the finest quality, best London gun making & are in very crisp condition throughout. In their makers oak & leather case with accessories.

HJ went to Monaco to compete and show off his wares in 1895, 1896, 1897. He visited Bosnia in 1898. He visited the USA in 1902, 1903, 1904. (His son HH visited the USA in 1920, 1922, 1923)

Tim

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Just as a treat, here are the lovely Edwin Chilton locks and the superb inletting of HJ gun no. 10752, built as a pair with 10753.

Tim

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Email from Robert posted by Moderator:

Here are some pictures of my beloved Hussey. Perhaps we can use the pics for a discussion on whether or not one is allowed to renovate an old gun. That can bring out the emotions!

My Hussey has a new stock. The old stock (I still have it) was mended as the old one eventually broke. The barrels (well in proof) have been reblued , they were brown like damascus barrels.
The actions have new colour hardening by a former owner.
Best regards
Robert

Robert Forslund 171

Dear John,
I see even you have some problems with the pictures. ;)

Robert Forslund 171

IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG (126.62 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

Robert Forslund 171

I just found an easy way to deal with the pictures. If you send the pic to your self via email you get a choice how big the pic should be. You take medium size and voila: the program accepts it!
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG (149.45 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Yup ! I haven't used photobucket for a long time and couldn't log in with the right ID and password. It took them over 24 hours to get back to me but finally I did it.