HJ Hussey Ltd Serial Numbers

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Tim Wilkes 43

Re: HJ Hussey Ltd Serial Numbers

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Robert, I'm still researching Hussey, as I have for the last five odd years. His grave is just up the road from where I live, for example.

I just happened to be able to fill in on the guns around Jim's serial number. The nearest guns I know of to yours are the pair of Imperials 14028 & 29. The next one along is 14040, which was a rare 28 bore SLE (with name in gold).

In my experience some current gun firms are interested in their history, others not. I suspect Sportarm bought the Hussey name for marketing purposes, with little real interest in the attendant heritage. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, mind you!

Tim

Robert Forslund 171

Post by Robert Forslund 171 »

Dear Tim,
I am very impressed from your expertise.
If you are planing to publish your knowlige on Hussey guns in any form, I will be your first customer. Please let me know in adwance.
A final question: Have you found any guns marked H.J. Hussey Ltd. with the adress
22 Woodstock Str.? If so, how many? I think that could be of interest in dating early Hussey Ltd. guns.
Best regards.
Robert

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Robert, these two cuttings from the Sporting Goods magazine tell their own story:

Mar 1899 Sporting Goods: We hear that HJ Hussey has started in business as a gunmaker on his own account. His premises are at Woodstock St, off Oxford St, London

Jul 1899 Sporting Goods: Mr HJ Hussey has secured premises at 81 New Bond St W, where every facility is found for the carrying on of a high class gunmaking business

Having left Lang & Hussey in Dec 1898, HJ looked around for premises, found Woodstock St around Feb 1899, spent a mere three months there as a stopgap and moved into the much more prestigious New Bond St shop. I would therefore speculate that no guns were made with the Woodstock St address. I've never come across one and suspect HJ would have waited until the move before delivering any guns that might have been completed whilst in the temporary premises.

One day I may well write a book on the Hussey guns, but for now my Beesley book takes priority.

Tim

Robert Forslund 171

Ok, Tim. Thank you for more valuable information.
You seam to know more about Hussey guns as anyone else. What is your oppinion, does any records from H.J. Hussey still exist?
A book about Beesley sounds like a major project. I am affraid we will have to wait for a while...

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Sportarm legally own the Hussey name and have the records, as much as they are. I have not viewed them - yet!

Tim

Robert Forslund 171

Today I called Sportarm and talked to Kevin. He was an extremly friendly and nice chap, so I take everything I said before back.
He said to have answered my mails and he even tried to send the mails again while we were talking, but for some reason they don't go through.
He told me the following: The 5 new Hussey Imperials are not finished yet. They are looking for an engraver. He said it will take another year to finish the guns.
Acessories in the name HJ Hussey will soon be presented on the Sportarm website.
There will be cartrige bags, guncases, gunslips in different forms and even wein? (Looking forward to that!).
Kevin said that the records of HJ Hussey had been destroyed in a fire. Shortly before The great War, he thought around 1912.
I have never seen a photo of HJ Hussey. Anyone?
Or perhaps Tim can show us a picture of his grave?

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

I do have a photo of his grave. However, it is nothing more than a shallow hollow in the grass as the headstone has long gone.

At some stage I'd like to have a small memorial stone made to erect over the space to commemorate this excellent craftsman.

I am in touch with the family and shall ask about a photo.

Tim

Hope this link provides the photo. You can see a small piece of paper I placed at the head of HJ's grave

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

With regard to Sportarm's reply to the location of Hussey records, I scurried off to my records, since I knew I had seen that phase sometimes used in auction listings, 'The makers have kindly confirmed that the gun was completed in ...'

Clearly the Lang & Hussey records still exist, since they are sometimes given a confirmation of year of manufacture. I'm not sure who has those records now, but have a feeling it is Francis Lovell.

Slightly perplexingly, HJ Hussey gun no. 14026, which was sold at Sotheby's in Jul 1990 and then at Bonhams in Jul 2003, has a note confirming completion in 1906 - by the makers. Make of that what we might!

Tim

Robert Forslund 171

I am very impressed. Thank you, Tim.
Ron Masters writes that HJ Hussey was a keen competition shooter. I suppose it was about live pigon shooting.
You seam to have access to old shooting magazines. Have you seen him mentioned in the score records?
Robert

Tim Wilkes 43

Post by Tim Wilkes 43 »

Hi Robert.

Whilst HJ was a noted competitor in both live and clay pigeon shooting, he was I believe more interested in selling his guns to other competitors.

I have found a couple of references to him in the shooting press, both during his time at Lang & Hussey. Interestingly, in the attached article on guns used in competition, HJ is listed as Hussey, without any mention of Lang.

Contrary to what is often written, that HJ joined James Lang in 1894, I have found that he joined in late 1891. An advert in the Field of spring 1892 states '... under the management of HJ Hussey, late assistant manager to Holland & Holland.'

This is from an 1893 Arms & Explosives magazine:

And this is from an 1899 Sporting Goods magazine:

Tim