Bother, the brat is back again....

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Vernon William Ballance 736

Bother, the brat is back again....

Post by Vernon William Ballance 736 »

What Ho,
I have an I Hollis and Sons Black powder sbs 12 bore with twist barrels which, as it has a slightly unusual "provenence" I feel is worth gathering a little information about.
It was located by the owner of a house some time after he had taken up residence. It was wrapped in hessian sacking and secreted in a dark and far corner underneath the house among the foundations.Also in the sacking were 4 other shotguns and from the rust damage to some of their barrels, they had been resting, undisturbed there for possibly a 100 years.
A theft, secreted and then left by a burglar or an attempt by an owner to avoid impressment by the Defence Forces during one of our WW wars...?

Anyway, Please, can some kind person suggest the manufacture date of what I suspect is a "Trade Gun," Serial number 68676?
Attachments
Hollis 7.jpg
Hollis 7.jpg (149.47 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Hollis 8.jpg
Hollis 8.jpg (134.71 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Hollis 9.jpg
Hollis 9.jpg (140.11 KiB) Viewed 281 times
It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
John 39

Re: Bother, the brat is back again....

Post by John 39 »

The gun dates to about 1900, can't be more accurate than that. Looks cheap enough for the Colonies!
Vernon William Ballance 736

Re: Bother, the brat is back again....

Post by Vernon William Ballance 736 »

What Ho John.

My thanks for your reply.............Sorry not to acknowledge earlier.
That is about what I suspected.
Thanks again.
It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.