Steel

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Mr K WILLIAMS 732

Steel

Post by Mr K WILLIAMS 732 »

Good Afternoon fellow members has any body have an thoughts oh the changes from lead to steel as I and a lot of others own old English guns with 2 1/2 chambers and proof for 1 oz of shot ( being on the safe side ) it seams to me that we will have to pay the price to use it I contacted a very large shooting body with this problem and the reply I got was you volentered for it I dont rember being asked or contacted to see if I would like to volenter so this leaves a lot of very old guns being scraped due to the cost of a conversion for steel one such body did reply to say you might get a bulg in the barrel but its nothing to worrie about ( realy ) these are the people we in trust to look out for us thank you for your time in reading this and sorry for any spelling mistakes Mr Williams
James M. Warren 374

Re: Steel

Post by James M. Warren 374 »

If your new Law/Regulation/Mandate specifically requires steel shot then you may be in a tough position. If it is to be "non toxic shot" (as for waterfowl in the USA) then you should be able to use Bismuth shot which is soft enough to be safe in vintage barrels.
Bismuth ammunition is more expensive, but usually worth it to keep vintage guns in use.

Don't get misled by those that dismiss the barrel bulging at the choke with steel problem as "a minor bulge". On a single barrel gun it is unsightly but not an unsafe result…..on a double, such a bulge(s) may well cause the rib(s) to separate.
- James
Mr K WILLIAMS 732

Re: Steel

Post by Mr K WILLIAMS 732 »

Good Afternoon thank you for your reply on the steel shot I never give it a thought about the top rib I have used Bismuth in the past for wildfowling and at £ 39.50 + a box ( 25 ) its a bit on the dear side I use my guns now for pigeon / crows / and sometimes pheasents its miles to dear for this as I said a lot of us have a problem thank you once again all the best