J D Dougall

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
John 39

J D Dougall

Post by John 39 »

I have a J D Dougall gun No. 2562 Lockfast. It is beautiful but I don't know anything about it. Can you help?

John Read

John 39

Re: J D Dougall

Post by John 39 »

Your gun dates to 1866. The question is "What version is it?" The full history of the firm appears in our database.

John

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated. What version is it? I have no idea!

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Presumably your gun has a downward moving side lever and the gun closes with a snap action. Originally it would have used the normal cartridge case and Schultze gunpowder. It may have some choke in the barrels. If you could send me a photo of the proof marks on the underside of the barrel flats, I might be able to tell you more. Also, what address is shown on the top rib?

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Hi John,

If you take the barrels off and turn them over you will see a flat bit under the chambers on which the proof marks should be stamped. The picture sent shows the action flats which have the usual London View mark. Barrels were “viewed” before finishing to identify flaws so as not to waste time on barrels which would probably fail the proof tests. The good thing is that this gun was probably made in London and it was certainly proved in London. This makes it more valuable although value depends on condition.

John

John 39

Post by John 39 »

Hi John,
I am now feeling stupid and guilty for probably wasting your time. I can see where the proof marks should have been -but the gun has been decommissioned with plugs welded into the barrels and the welds are where the proof marks should have been.
I am sure this makes the gun valueless not that that was ever my primary interest. However, it is beautiful and you have given me a lot of information already for which I thank you again.
All the very best to you and yours
John Read.