1st Antique Gun - Cogswell Harrison Purchase

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
John 39

Re: 1st Antique Gun - Cogswell Harrison Purchase

Post by John 39 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Sorry Lance, I didn't pick up on the lack of a re-sleeving mark. As your gun is not marked as sleeved, it hasn't been. Those are the original barrels as they came out of the factory. You are likely to get the right leather and buckles if you take the old straps to a saddler (bridle and saddle shop), the alternative is to go to a country clothing shop and look at their men's belts.

I have emailed you a selection of gun case labels that were used by the company around 1927. Maybe you can print off the one you want and stick it in the case.

lance jones 504

Post by lance jones 504 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi John,
Thank you for the excellent advice once again. I will follow that through over the next couple of weeks. We have a saddelry and gun shop around 8 to 10 miles away.
I am interested to hear that the barrels had not been resleeved, I thought not. I had a similar doubt to when I discovered, from you that the 'V' mark on the barrel flats, does not mean the fiearm was from the Victorian era !
I am happier that the barrels are the originals fitted to the gun.

I have just opened the email from you with the label attached. I could not believe the array of labels and the date range information on each image, fantastic.... thank you again.
I am looking for the badge that fits on the top of the case. At present, I have a hole only. I have seen pics of other cases with a round brass looking emblem. Do you have any idea where I maybe able to get a badge please? Thsi will finsh the case off when I have restored it. I have asked C&H in my email for the certificate of originality of the gun. I have as yet received no reply.

The best thing I have done, since buying the gun, is to join this forum. I am so grateful.

Thank you - Lance

lance jones 504

Post by lance jones 504 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:22 am

Hi All
Not being allowed out, means I have been spending time cleaning guns - I am sure all keen 'gunners' have been doing the same, it therapeutic, to an extent.
Using snap caps, of course, having a new (old) gun, I have been dry firing the C&G side by side. The rear trigger, left barrel, has started sticking. There is either a delay, or the trigger will activate the firing pin, if I pull upwards on the top part of the trigger. Front trigger is fine.
I picked the gun up today, it fired fine, third time, delayed click again.
Gunshop have said they will sort it when it reopens.
While we are twiddling our thumbs (actually I am not), today was my first day with a rest. I wondered if anyone has an opinion. Remember, we have established the gun has a boxlock action.
Not terribly important, as the shop will fix it. Just wondering if it is common and what causes it. The only other double trigger gun I have is a walking 410 side by side, that has hammers, so I have little to compare it with.

Thanks
Lance

John 39

Post by John 39 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 am

The gun may need a clean or just lubrication, I doubt if it is a case of wear and tear. Regarding the brass disc on the lid of the case your only chance of replacing this would be to go to any engineering company or perhaps an engineer friend (retired or not). Get him/them to measure the diameter and thickness and make a disc for you. If you are handy with a workbench and can find something made of brass of the right thickness maybe you can make one yourself and stick it in with an adhesive!

lance jones 504

Post by lance jones 504 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:59 am

Thank you once again John, you have been a star throughout all of my queries. I am looking forward to getting out and about when we are finally let out !!
Apologies for the delay, it has been a very busy week.
My wife and I have been quite ill while working through it all.
We had all the unpleasant symptoms of the virus, we are on the mend now, just weak. The worse part of the bout
we have just been through is, the inability to breath at times. Thankfully this has now passed. Its a horrible flu.
We are awaiting the anitbody testing kits.

Stay indoors folks.

John 39

Post by John 39 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:04 pm

Really sorry to hear that you have had it, hope you recover completely and quickly. What frightens me is the realization that lock-down for 3 months is a myth, it seems to me 6 months is more like it, and then perhaps it'll drag on for 18 months or so.

The Government pretends to be transparent about it all but they are not. A lot is being ignored and hidden, mistakes have been made and the people responsible are not being accountable, and one of the main problems is the NHS's bureaucratic structure which creates delays.

Endless daily TV appearances of politicians spouting praises for every Tom, Dick and Harry doesn't help.

There I go again !

lance jones 504

Post by lance jones 504 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:56 am

Hi John,
The future is unclear. I am in business, and how we are to get through a 6 month quarantine is impossible. I dont think it is practical either, people will be unwilling to conform.
The government are planning for three months, but with 'social distancing being maintained for a further three months. For businesses such as ours, this is impossible to survive. So, who knows what the future holds. There is a lot of discussion on a furum in the Times today regarding the feasiability of the current approach. Graphs have sprung up, demonstrating the deaths in the UK are on par with an average year. Seasonal flu between 2015 and 2018 killed between 16,000 to 28,000 people each year. So, people are starting to question the current model, not helped by the Swedes stating that the UK lockdwon is overboard and they still have the pubs open !

At a guess, I think they will prepare people for June and let us out in May, under "conditions'. Who knows ?
I try to stay away form the TV, its all sensationlism and opinions. We have been too busy and ill, to watch anything other than the daily government broadcast. My wife has just started to subject me to the series 'Killing EVE on I player.

Tomorrow is a fine day, so we will be in the garden no doubt. I cannot discharge the side by side. I am beside myself wanting to test fire it. I have a box of 24g ready. Maybe I should pre-warn the neighbours, but they are going to think I have gone mad.
I think I am going to need to fit an old fashioned recoil pad to increase the "close" of the stock. I would like to find the right era of design. Any ideas or suggestions?

John 39

Post by John 39 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:55 pm

You can't go wrong with a Silvers pad.