Cogswell & Harrison

Registered members may use this forum to discuss shotgun subjects
Bjoern Ludvigsen 141

Cogswell & Harrison

Post by Bjoern Ludvigsen 141 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:24 pm

014_269827811.jpg
014_269827811.jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Gentlemen
I have bought a Cogswell & Harrison Avant Tout boxlock.Buildt 1894,later sleeved.I have seen some of them with regular fences,this one has more sculptured.I just wonder,amongst all the boxlock models they made,can somebody tell me what this one is called? And by the way,also the difference between all of them...?? Rex,Rover,Konor,Sandhurst etc...

Thanks

Bjoern Ludvigsen 141

Re: Cogswell & Harrison

Post by Bjoern Ludvigsen 141 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:34 am

Now I know,I`ve bought the C&H book by Cooley & Newton.Good reading.I am also considering an "Extra Quality
Victor" SLE. A total restore by the makers,including new barrels fitted.How do you regard this model against guns from other 2nd,or 3rd grade London makers?

Regards from Norway

John 39

Re: Cogswell & Harrison

Post by John 39 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:00 pm

I have a copy of the Cooley & Newton book and have just had another look at it.I can't remember ever having read it before - but I'm not going to talk about that or how old I'll be on my next birthday! It's a good book which will answer most of your questions but two errors worth pointing out are:

1. Julia Chaplin was Edward Harrison's wife, formerly a shop assistant, It is not right to describe her as Edgar Harrison's business partner, she was his mother! The firm's properties were bought with Edward Harrison's / company cash and put into her name in case of any future financial troubles.

2. William Moore worked for Joseph Manton, but William Parker Grey, who also worked for Joseph Manton, did not join Cogswell & Harrison. This person was William Patrick Grey who was a wealthy London lead manufacturer and merchant. At this time there was a boom in London house buildingwith lead pipes and roofing trim in huge demand. His son Frederick eventually joined the business. Both were keen live pigeon shooters hence the interest in gun making.

My great grandfather worked for Edward Harrison and lived with the family in the Strand for a couple of years before working for then buying R B Rodda & Co in Calcutta. C & H produced many thousands of guns in a range of qualities. I would think they were the largest London gun maker by far, and in terms of output were similar to W & C Scott, P Webley, and Westley Richards - all Birmingham makers. C & H high quality guns were very good and would last a lifetime, but they were not as high quality as guns made by the top half dozen London gun makers. Your Extra Quality Victor would look good in my gun cabinet if you are short of space.