Selous Grips

User: Will

Date: 05 Oct 2005 at 11:37

I've seen a rifle advertised with the description "Selous Grips". I know Selous was a famous big game hunter in Africa, but can anyone tell me what a Selous grips are?

[ This message was edited by: Will on 2005-10-05 12:39 ]

User: Tiger

Date: 05 Oct 2005 at 11:49

A USA member, Kaimilola, has just sent us two images of an R B Rodda .500/.450 BPE with Selous grips. It's for sale at The Fine Gun Room, Springfield, Missouri. Maybe it's the same gun.

There are plenty of rifles with cracks or splits in the grip that have been repaired by screwing brass plates round the grip, the man who most famously had this done was Selous. The owner of this rifle must have liked it a lot!

[ This message was edited by: Tiger on 2005-10-05 19:53 ]

User: Kaimiloa

Date: 05 Oct 2005 at 18:20

One will see so-called Selous grips from time to time on heavy use rifles for Africa and India. See articles in the Double Gun Journal, Black Powder Hunting, and perhaps Rifle or Handloader magazines. Usually they are quite utilitarian and look like curved steel plates which straddle the weak part of the grip and are held in place by multiple unattractive screws. The Rodda BPE double pictured has quite artistically done silver grip plates, fully engraved, which are an enhancement rather than a detraction from the esthetics of this doulble.