Open ticket

User: rossandjet

Date: 04 Sep 2005 at 16:15

I have now had my firearm certificate for almost 3 years with .22 and .17 hmr.

I understand that after the 3 years, I can apply for an open licence.

Can anyone give me advice on do's and dont's when making my application, and just what will an open licence allow me to do.

My area is GT Manchester

User: spyr0

Date: 12 Sep 2005 at 10:35

Open licenses are usually granted on first renewal. subject obviously to FEO referral.
Personally I would wait until first renewal, getting written permission from landowner is not a bad thing as these are kept in your file and can be used when you do apply on renewal for open cert.

User: Smudger

Date: 13 Sep 2005 at 11:54

I applied for an open certificate about 5 years ago because it makes life easier, generally speaking, and I buy a few days stalking now and then. When buying days I sometimes I wonder if the land I'm on really has been approved by the chief constable of the area!

At the time, my local firearms officer remarked that I was applying just in time as the Home Office was thinking of ending open certificates. Well, they haven't, but they might! So my advice is to go ahead.

The big advantage is that you are deemed to be a safe and responsible person experienced in choosing to shoot only on land where a rifle can be used safely with no danger to the public. I can't advise you on any do's and dont's, if you are experienced it's mostly just common sense!

Good luck!